Clonezilla restore disk image from SAMBA share

tl:dr - The fileshare used for restoring from image must have the "-img" directory immediately within it.

This is for my own personal "the next time I need to do this" notes, but may it serve the internet at large...

Clonezilla offers a very straightforward means for backing up a disk over the network and saving the disk as an image file. What is never mentioned during the process, however, is what is needed to restore that image back to a disk.

Fortunately has the answer.

In general, the secret is this: The fileshare you attach to via Samba must point to the "img" directory created during the Clonezilla backup. Otherwise, it will not be detected, and you will never see any options to restore to disk.

Example: Let's say you do a backup to image file. You choose SAMBA. Server is Directory is /mydirectory/mybackup. Image file is 2016-01-01-01-img. The backup runs. On the destination server, you find the directory /mydirectory/mybackup and within it is a directory 2016-01-01-img and within that directory is the actual data files.

If you turned around and tried to do a restore using that same information, you will NEVER come across any options to "restore". Never. Why? Because not mentioned at any time during the backup process is that in order to do a restore, the fileshare must have the "-img" directory immediately within it.

So, in our example above, I created a new "restore" SAMBA share which uses /directory/mydirectory/mybackup as the path. If I browse to \\\restore from a Windows workstation, I see a directory "2016-01-01-img" immediately within. Good, that will work.

Now, when I fire up Clonezilla, I pick server, path "/restore", I then see all these options to work with "2016-01-01-img" and restoretodisk and life is good thereafter.

Clonezilla is awesome; don't get me wrong. I do wish that they explained this restore directory structure requirement up-front during the backup process, though. Now you know.

Cutting borosilicate glass for 3-d printing

I have a Da Vinci Jr. 3-D printer. I developed a heated print bed for it, and needed a piece of borosilicate glass 170mm x 170mm. I purchased a piece of borosilicate glass from Amazon and attempted to cut it using a glass cutter "key" tool. This resulted in a busted piece of glass.

My next attempt yielded a much better result. I used a wet tile saw. While the edges of the cut were rough, the glass did survive the process and worked nicely. Lesson learned, don't bother attempting to cut borosilicate glass with a "score and snap" glass cutting tool.

Clonezilla performance network vs. local disk

clonezillaI just got a new laptop, and am using clonezilla to make a backup copy of the entire disk. When doing this, you have to option to use either a local disk or a network location for the backup destination. I initially started out using a network location. This yielded a backup rate of about 1.06gb/min. Seeing how I'm backing up a 1tb drive, this means what, 15.72 hours to complete, using 1tb = 100gb.

So, just a few minutes into the backup, I decide to stop and connect a USB 3 external drive, and restart clonezilla. I restart the same clone job, this time using local disk for the destination. The throughput? 1.16gb/min. It'll take 14.3 hours instead of 15.72 hours. Pretty disappointing there, a modest 9% gain in performance. Not worth it. The flexibility of being able to do the clone to a network share wins the slight speed gain of backing up to a connected local disk, imho. Of course, there are many factors which could have changed the performance I saw, but in this case, the performance of the network-based backup is close enough to the attached-disk backup to make the network-based backup worth it.

DaVinci Jr. 3-D printer doing bizarre offset print job.

This is a tale of joy and woe, all in one. I got my homemade heated print bed to work, keeping prints from curling up at the edges. This was a big victory after quite a bit of tinkering. But, after two failed attempts, I am yet to get a useable print of a back-cover for a project case completed. This time the fail is a bizarre shift of the print, halfway through the print job. The bed has not moved, the glass has not shifted, etc. The printer just decided that it wanted to print the thing a half-inch north of where it should be. Argh!

Fwiw, my current version of XYZWare is, and the firmware is version 2.2.8.

DaVinci Jr. butchers up print job by offsetting the print! Argh!