Disclaimer: This is not investment advice! It's my own personal-yet-public track of TSP moves so I can look back a few years from now and get the answer to the "What on earth was I thinking when I did that?" question.
The last time I did a jump from the "C" to the "G", my timing was bad, bad bad. It was during the bottom of the crash, but of course, nobody really knew when we hit the bottom. Well, that time, it was okay, because I got back into the "C" once the markets stabilized.
So now it's May 2010 instead of the tail of 2008, and the market is starting to take a slide. Contributing factors to the slide include the near-collapse of Greece's economy, and the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course, our nation having a jobless rate at about 10% doesn't help either.
For reference, here is a list of historical prices for the DJIA at May 7, 2010, the date my request to transfer from "C" to "G" took place. You'll see the dates prior, too. Market was at 11,000 and above through April, but took a dive. So I figured it was time to wait a bit. Of course now, a week later on May 14th, 2010, the market has rebounded to 10,620. Argh. Maybe I should have stayed in? Eh, hard to say. I can only do two moves per calendar month, so I'm loathe to dive back in while things look unstable; I'd rather wait til' the end of the month when I could make a move, then cross over into June and do a couple moves there too if needed. Ah, there just ain't no crystal ball, is there? Nope. Only time will tell if this move was another case of bad timing or if it was foresight of an impending collapse.